Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Guest Writer: Bill Jackson "Scrubs"

    As I started writing this review, I realized how hard it is to write about 9 whole seasons of one show. I'm used to writing reviews of 2 hour long movies. With that said, here goes nothing.

    I saw "Scrubs" on netflix while looking for something to watch. I said to myself, "I never gave this show a chance, I'll watch the first episode." That was one April 6th, Today is the 27th and I have successfully finished all 9 seasons. With that said, I'm a huge fan of the series as a whole, and it is now on my list of favorite TV shows.

     "Scrubs" follows Dr. John Dorian aka "JD" (Zach Braff) through his journey of the medical field. Seasons 1-8 are narrated by JD through daydreams and and voice overs. Season 9 the focus of the show shifts to Lucy Bennet (Kerry Bishe), but we'll get back to that in a little bit.

     Alongside of JD is his heterosexual life mate Chris Turk (Donald Faison). His mentor, Dr. Cox (John C. McGinley). Head Nurse, Carla (Judy Reyes), and JD's love interest, Elliot (Sarah Chalke). The show revolves around these 4 mostly, but there are TONS of other lovable characters.


     One thing that I loved about the show, was that all the episodes went into one another. Granted you could watch a random episode and still like it, but watching them all in order it tells a bigger story than just one episode at a time. Each season tells one big story, for instance season 2 one of the main story arcs is Turk and Carla's wedding. The way it is written reminds me of comic books. There are little story arcs (3 or 4 episodes long) that when the are all combined it makes one huge story.

     The show is made up of mostly day dreams done by JD. It reminds me a lot of "Family Guy". Something happens in his mind that is pretty much irrelevant to the show, but it is ridiculous and funny. At first I thought I was going to find that super annoying, but I was wrong. I couldn't imagine the show without the day dreams. Each episode ends with a voice over from JD summing up everything that happened in the episode and telling you what he learned. It's like he was writing in his diary.

      Season 9 was a little different which I assume is the reason the show got dropped. Most of the main characters from seasons 1-8 are still there, but they become the supporting characters. As previously stated the main protagonist shifts from JD to Lucy. Lucy is in med school and JD, Dr. Cox and Turk are all teachers at this school. So lucy and her friends are not even interns yet, it was like they wanted to start the show over. It only has 13 episodes, I think it got cut in mid season, Cause it sure didn't feel like a season finale. If you make it to season 9, you should definitely watch it. It's not as good as the first 8 seasons, but there are some laughs to be had in it.

     So all in all, I'm a huge fan of the show. I really do recommend you add it to your queue and watch it in all it's glory. It only took me 21 days. =)
                  --- Bill Jackson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Bill Jackson is a up and coming DJ and producer in South Florida, he goes by the allias DJ Magic and runs BeastCoast Productions which includes upcoming artists ZigZag, Sewerside, O.N.E., C.Norris, No Question, and I'm sure many more will be joining soon. Friend him on facebook and twitter to listen to their new songs and news on tours. Follow him on his blog "Magic's Media Mania"

   
       We at So Danca love supporting new artists, if you are an up and coming artist and would like to be featured here don't hesitate to shoot me an email at news@sodanca.com


     Love from your humble blogger,

1 comment:

  1. I always Watch Scrubs Episodes online. This is brilliant show. Here, in this show we can see laugh, fun and emotion. Its perfect show.

    ReplyDelete