Purchasing Pointe shoes
Some students try to cut corners by purchasing Pointe shoes online. While this may work when you already know your brand and fit, it is not a good idea in general. A trip to a professional fitter is always the best and may save you considerable expense in the long run. Here are a few reminders of things you should do:
- Make a fitting appointment with the store. Some fitters are not there all the time or there could be other people ahead of you.
- Be prepared for a fitting fee. Some stores will charge you for a fitting if you do not buy the shoes. This is to protect themselves from unscrupulous dancers who get fit in a store and then go buy the shoes online from someone else.
- Fittings can take up to 45 minutes so leave plenty of time. Nothing worse than rushing a fitting. You may have to try on many brands and sizes to get the perfect fit.
- Bring an open – to – suggestion attitude. The fitter is specialized in all the different brands and sizes and knows a lot more than you do.
- Bring your tights and toe pads. You should always try shoes with your usual foot protection.
- Try shoes on when your feet are rested. If you have been dancing all day, your feet will be slightly swollen. This could alter your shoe fit.
- Give the fitter your undivided attention. Do not text or play games on your cell phone during the fitting.
- To get the best fit you must have some knowledge of your foot construction. You will purchase a style of Box depending on the shape of your toes. The retailer will assess your foot and offer appropriate options.
- The most important thing is to get the right Box and width. Afterwards, you want to consider the Shank strength and length. Again, the fitter will help with this.
- ¾ lengths are very popular today because they allow more flexibility on the demi-pointe. Always ask your teacher before buying ¾ shanks; some teachers prefer a Full Shank.
IF YOU MUST GET THE SHOES APPROVED BY THE TEACHER, REMEMBER NOT TO SEW RIBBONS NOR DIRTY THE SHOES IN ANY WAY IN CASE YOU NEED TO EXCHANGE THEM.
--- Anne Polajenko
We at So Danca wanted to wish everyone that is driving home for thanksgiving a safe trip home, and a glorious time with your loved ones and friends!
Love from your humble blogger,